Artistic Statement

Jessica Brandt
"Opposites"Every since I was able to pick up a writing utensil, I made my own artwork. As years progressed, my skill in art increased. My artwork has always been colorful and contrastive. I tend to make my artwork stand out of the others. That's why I decided my artwork should revolve around the idea of "Opposites Attract" In my pieces I portray and environment in which two complete contrasting characters collide and how they react with one another. In everyday life one can see many opposites. Walking into a school, one could see students tall and students short. Outside the season is winter or summer. Alone these subjects have their own spark, but together they combust into a colorful combination of contrasting characteristics. In making them colorful, I use colored pencils. Their smoothness and vast variety of hues make my work bold and proud. I believe the strong sense of contrast and colorful values will attract the human eye. My concentration's purpose is to show the world what happens when various opposites interact.